Scientific Services needed a new website to support its ambitious growth objectives.
- Design Layouts
- Content Management System
- Read the full 5/5 review here
- Final outcome
Tim’s flexible approach and support has meant that we now have a fantastic website. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Pendigital’s services in the future.
Carly Matthews, Scientific Services
Early discussions focused on how to increase awareness and boost conversion. I took the time to get to know their niche markets so that I could better contribute to their strategy. Together, we decided on a plan that included:
- An SEO report to identify keyword opportunities and competition
- A refresh of branding that would better support conversion
- A design focused on prioritising critical messages. Whilst also meeting the needs of search engines.
- A design with strong calls to action to support conversion. As well as showcasing their breadth of experience and reviews
- A priority focused on content marketing
- A priority focused on accessibility, to ensure compliance with the law and as an aid to SEO
- A structure that focused on siloing of content to boost rankings
- Guidance on how to write converting articles that support SEO
- A content management system that would provide security without pesky updates. And would be easy to use.
- Plus more…
Here’s a taster of some of the aspects of the web design build.
As part of my SEO report, we used Moz Pro to identify keywords to target. My report made recommendations on how Scientific Services could achieve high rankings. The recommendations included: siloing and a rich mix of content. Some of the content recommendations included:
- Tower landing pages
- White papers in a knowledge base
- Case studies
Here’s the asbestos landing page demonstrating the tower approach. You will see that there are clear silos of content nested in this layout.
When we discussed branding we recognised that there was a limited palette of colours. What was missing was an accent colour - super-useful for drawing attention to calls to action.
I also introduced a new font with different weights. The different weights allowed us to:
- Provide contrast between headlines and paragraphs
- To highlight critical words in core headlines
3. Design layouts
The new website has a set of layouts. These include:
- The home page
- A primary landing page
- A secondary landing page
- Listing pages for articles
- Standard pages
The website needed to meet (WCAG) 2 - Level AA Conformance. I implemented the following to achieve this:
- Skip to main content
- Page menus
- Navigable by keyboard
- Outline on links
- Recognisable anchor links
- Text for video content
- Semantic html tags
- Aria labels
- Contrast on colours
- Suitable font sizes
5. Content Management System
We decided to use the static site generator Jekyll… you can read about my love of SSGs elsewhere on Pendigital.co.uk. To edit content, we have used the CloudCannon content management system. CloudCannon also includes a global content delivery network via CloudFlare.
In a nutshell, this choice means:
- More secure than WordPress
- A faster website
- No updates needed
- Version control through Git
- Every change gets backed up to GitHub
- All content is in markdown files so is very portable (vs locked away in a MySQL database)
- An easy to use content management system
- A consistent user interface for editing content. This is unlike WordPress where you often need to edit galleries in separate areas.
All our customers get training. We also often provide a short-cut guide on how to use different systems. As we recognise that sometimes there are gaps between editing and know-how gets lost.
7. Read the full 5/5 review here
If you would like to read the full review - head over to here.
Please note, Fort Marketing is a sub-brand of Pendigital.
8. Final Outcome
The website ranks well for all its niche markets and generates quality leads. Scientific Services’ ambitious growth plans are being realised. They are super customers to work with and I enjoyed building their website. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to complete this work for you.